Lee Cockerell spent 10 years leading 40,000 Cast Members at the Walt Disney World Resort. He oversaw resort operations for the four theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping and restaurant areas, 20 resort hotels, 2 water parks and ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex.
Although not a college athlete, his son Daniel competed for Boston University and his granddaughter turned down a number of offers to play collegiate soccer in favor of pursuing her own CareerAdventure.
Lee is very familiar with the life of a student-athlete, and in the podcast, we discuss how valuable time management, professional networking, asking questions and gaining professional experience can be in building a life beyond sport.
In this episode we visit with Lee about his CareerAdventure. From ordering the wrong melons and not knowing avacados needed time to ripen before being prepared. He has hired, fired and developed talent all over the world. And loves the quality and characteristics that student-athletes embody.
Get your copy of the new book that discusses the vast majority of student-athletes dreaming of athletic stardom won’t make it to the pros. Yet, the discipline and skills they’ve developed while balancing a sport and academics make them ideally suited for satisfying careers elsewhere.
In 20 Secrets to Success for NCAA Student-Athletes Who Won’t Go Pro, the authors draw on personal experience, interviews, expert opinion, and industry data to provide a game plan for student-athletes through key transitions at each stage of their careers, from high school through college and beyond.
- Meet Lee Cockerell — After spending more than 40 years in the hospitality industry developing skills and learning lessons in leadership, Lee Cockerell has formed a new company to share his thoughts and experiences.
- Get Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney — No one knows more about this kind of leadership than Lee Cockerell, the man who ran Walt Disney World® Resort operations for over a decade. And in Creating Magic, he shares the leadership principles that not only guided his own journey from a poor farm boy in Oklahoma to the head of operations for a multibillion dollar enterprise, but that also soon came to form the cultural bedrock of the world’s number one vacation destination. But as Lee demonstrates, great leadership isn’t about mastering impossibly complex management theories. We can all become outstanding leaders by following the ten practical, common sense strategies outlined in this remarkable book. As straightforward as they are profound, these leadership lessons include: Everyone is important. Make your people your brand. Burn the free fuel: appreciation, recognition, and encouragement. Give people a purpose, not just a job.
- The Customer Rules: The 39 Essential Rules for Delivering Sensational Service — Lee Cockerell knows that success in business--any business--depends upon winning and keeping customers. In 39 digestible, bite-sized chapters, Lee shares everything he has learned in his 40+ year career in the hospitality industry about creating an environment that keeps customers coming back for more. Here, Lee not only shows why the customer always rules, but also the Rules for serving customers so well they'll never want to do business with anyone but you. For example: Rule #1: Customer Service Is Not a Department Rule #3: Great Service Follows the Laws of Gravity Rule #5: Ask Yourself "What Would Mom Do?" Rule #19: Be a Copycat Rule #25. Treat Every Customer like a Regular Rule #39: Don’t Try Too Hard
- Time Management Magic: How To Get More Done Every Day And Move From Surviving To Thriving — Executive time management secrets from a life at Disney. During Lee Cockerell’s career at Disney as the Senior Operating Executive of Walt Disney World Resorts, he led a team of 40,000 Cast Members (employees) and was responsible for the operations of 20 resort hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks and the ESPN Sports Complex. As you can imagine, Lee had to become a time management expert, first as a means of survival and then as a way to help others make the best use of their time. The time management secrets he developed have become one of his most requested corporate training lectures and are now available to you in this tell-all book. However, this book is not just about Time Management. It is about Life Management. “Management” is defined as the act of controlling. The executive time management secrets contained in this book will help you keep all parts of your life under control and jump-start your personal and professional growth.
- Career Magic: How To Stay On Track To Achieve A Stellar Career — Career Development Magic is a unique book full of priceless advice and insightful experience. Lee Cockerell chronicles how he went from being a college dropout, rose through the ranks at both Hilton and Marriott, and ultimately became the Executive Vice President of Operations for Walt Disney World? Resorts. As the Senior Operating Executive for more than a decade, Lee led a team of 40,000 Cast Members and was responsible for the operations of 20 resort hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping & entertainment village and the ESPN sports and recreation complex.